07 August 2011

The right kind of help...

We were browsing in Music World - intention being to pick up some DVDs that were on our viewing list; 'Tess', and if possible 'Swan Lake'.

Usually, one has to flip through thousands of DVDs to find what one wants, and of course that takes so much time, that you end up getting jostled by people who also need to flip through the DVDs, and being nudged by those who want to just walk around and browse. The salespeople generally add to the milling crowds, and when asked give non-committal replies, or an 'I'll just check' one. A Mr. Chandan Roy, salesperson, asked me if we were looking for anything specific. I said 'Tess', thinking, here we go...to myself.....and he goes, ' I have that -- I have that just here,' and he goes directly to the spot, thumbs through the set, and while doing so says, ' It's a Polanski film. Great one.' I was so taken aback, that I just looked at him in silence... very happily surprised...wow this guy knows... . Then, after a bit of browsing in the music section, we came back to the DVD section for one more look. Mr. Chandan Roy again................. I told him we were looking for Swan Lake. Instantly came the response, 'I have that here. It's a Tchaikovsky.' (and he had the pronunciation just right!!). An astonished WOW! to that. And he unerringly went to where he knew it was, and gave it to us...(strange thing is that we'd just thumbed through that very section without seeing it).

Terrific salesmanship, right? and terrific salesperson! so....................terrific experience!!!