15 August 2011

A grandmother's wisdom...

"There, but for the grace of God, go I"

This was a line that my mother quoted many times. Over the years the wisdom in these words has sent down deep roots into my heart.

Something that I love doing is looking at people - I'm not sure why - but I love looking at people around me and see what they are wearing, how they are talking, or not talking, and most of all I look at their faces, trying to see what they are saying, behind what they are apparently saying... . So often, I see the pain, the heartache, the hidden longings, and sometimes I read the 'that-could've-been-me-there' look when they look at someone who seems to on top of things, and I think - "there, but for the grace of God, go I"...because all that is/was very familiar ground......and again the thought comes that "whatever happens, happens for a reason"...if only we can learn how to patiently wait to learn, and wait for the learning time to pass...