27 April 2012

An important lesson...

I'd heard from my DD, but which I see happening in real time for me now......

My DD's always worked in a corporate house, and under (what seems to me) tremendous pressure of checking quality under (to me, again) insane deadlines. Her response to a zillion decisions that need to be taken at the same moment has always been: Is it critical? or, It's not critical or variations of that.....but keeping the focus on 'critical'.

Having worked all my life with children, the concept of deadlines was rather hazy. Deadlines had a stretchable quality, within reasonable limits of course, because you can't fit kids into boxes. So if there was an issue, time was never the problem or the main point - the child was. I could take my time over a child's problems, till finally the smile was back, and self-confidence restored.

Now I work in cybersphere, and deadlines are very real. I've found that one-line mails and msgs hinting at deadlines can be quite devastating.....and paralyzing......so now, am learning the value of asking 'Is it critical'!!! What is critical to my work? to my peace of mind, and to my life......??

.......................and then pursuing that line of action...........................and..................it's working!!!!!