15 January 2014

Talking about mindfulness...

I came across this method which made a lot of sense to me - made the practice of mindfulness easier.

Consciously tell yourself in the moment you are in right now what is happening. If you are alone, say it out loud. If you don't feel like saying it aloud, then speak to yourself - but say the words - don't only think them. So, if you are having a cup of coffee, speak the words - I am having coffee just now and I am enjoying it. Or, if you are writing, then tell yourself - I am putting down my thoughts for this is what is in my mind. Or, if you are upset and in tears, then say - I am upset by ___________________ and I feel as if my heart is breaking. Or, if you are putting things in the washing machine speak out the words - I am putting in the white clothes first and then will do the rest. Or, when you are cooking, say - okay now I am putting in the onions to brown, then I'll need to put in the ginger-garlic paste, so let me get this. This way, with practice (nothing in life comes easy!) you will be able to look at each moment.

Why? because them you will be able to meet what comes to you in the moment head on, and accept what is in that moment - so if the moment is giving you happiness, you are conscious of it, if it brings the fact that you have run out of onions, then you will be able to work out an alternative, if the moment brings sorrow, then you will be able to deal with it or distract yourself to go out of the sad zone. In other words, you are meeting each moment of life AS IT IS, not as it should be or as you would like it to be.

And the result - you get better at dealing with pain, you can cool-headedly  solve the problem in hand, you can fully participate in the pleasure or joy of the moment, you can avoid a difficult situation you feel is beginning to happen...