04 January 2014

I visited my old college...

Isabella Thoburn College, a few days back. Of course she has changed from the time I was there - 1967 to 1972. It would be foolish to think she would have remained the same....indeed, while my head tells me it would have been terrible, almost retrograde, if she had remained as she was, my heart ached, for her physical appearance had changed.

Change does happen...it is the law of life. Change could be better, as in 'my' idea of better, or it could be worse - 'my' idea of worse....but what is important is whether the essentials have changed.

I will be honest - I was terrified at the thought of going to see my old College. I felt inadequate, wondering if I would be able to sync my now with my then.... I felt weak about my knees as I thought of going back to my home, as it were. For I would have to look within...I would need to examine if I had broken her trust....But, Isabella Thoburn, like a true Alma Mater (Latin: Alma "nourishing/ kind", Mater "mother") drew me to her again.

Facing her, and breathing her air, I realized that Isabella Thoburn's essentials are rock solid...they have withstood all the changes of time and administration, and have even stood up to the enormous political changes that have swept Lucknow. There is neither a scratch nor a dent in what she stood for, what she was all about, and what she had to offer her students. The Ideals she gave us and expected us to live by, remain steadfast and relevant. Isabella Thoburn's legacy to all those who passed through her portals is unblemished. This was very, very reassuring and comforting....it was also a reaffirmation - I am an indelible part of her as she is of me.

My most important and most impressionable years were entwined with Isabella Thoburn. Being there, looking at her, and allowing her to wash away the years in between, I knew without a doubt, undeniably, that she was clearly a vital part of my inheritance and heritage...and it was about time I reclaimed it.

As I stood in front of her, I, once again, felt her reaching out to me, just as I had felt when I was but a chit of a 15-year-old; her strong, calm presence as surely as ever showing me the way to go....

Thank you, Isabella Thoburn for restoring me to myself...

 In front of the College

In front of the Chapel. A bit of the new block that has been added shows up in the corner. It changes the symmetry, because the old buildings were built as ITC - the admin block and classes formed the I, the Chapel the T, and the Library the C. In style, though, the new block tries to blend in with the old...

I am pointing to the pillar that I stood in front of during our graduation exercises, to represent the Ideal of Poise (the pillar to my left).

In front of my room - there was no grill then, nor was there any number above my door - but room 51 was my room when I was VP of Naunihal. I'm trying to stand as close to it as I can! (52 was Dolly and Indu's room).