22 February 2011

The sweet shop phenomenon...

Every time I pass a sweet shop, I see men and women standing all by themselves and eating sweets and/or savories off a plate. Their faces are a study...focused on their plate, totally intent on the food, they stand without looking at the surroundings, or at the others. Their eyes do not leave the plate, even when they are chewing the food. They seem to be completely unaware of where they are of even of how they might have come there. All their energies are concentrated on the food. There may only be a sly sideways glance to see if anyone they know has strolled in.

Studying them I've wondered what might be going through their minds? and why are they alone? why, after they finish, do they so quickly rush out of the shop?

Picture a family man. He is on his way back from work. He passes this sweet shop/fast food counter/street food stall. He glances to see what they have. And then: should he? shouldn't he? The temptation is too great. He slimeys in, orders what he wants, literally swallows it, pays and rushes out again...his face registers a range of emotions: how can I do this when my wife and kids are waiting at home?; they won't know; it's just a sweet, come on, I get them so many things; never again; gosh what a smutsch I am, how greedy can I get; the little one loves this; I'm the one who goes out to work, surely I'm entitled to treat myself; I make so many sacrifices for the family, why am I guilty about indulging myself a wee bit?; I'm hungry, and there's still a long way to go.....and so on...(it's the same for a family woman).

Shift to a widower/widow. He might as well grab a bite before going into a lonely home. The look on the face is: one of resignation to fate; reminiscing about the loved one who is no more and who probably made the same thing, or bought it to make a meal special; where have those happy days gone? we got so many of these when Baba was born; an unbidden memory pops out suddenly, a sigh escapes; have to eat something, it might as well be this...

The single man or woman shows another range of emotions: How foolish to stand here alone and eat. Wish I had someone to share this with; might as well eat here as anywhere else; look at that person standing there. Maybe I could go and strike up a conversation?; what that person is eating looks interesting. I'll try that next time; I think I'll get some of these packed and go across to ______'s house, and so on...

Each face a study. In the middle of a churning mind, I wonder if they are relishing what they have so determinedly got...