26 March 2014

It is no secret...

that I totally love the girl child. The boys in school used to get very angry with me because according to them I always favored girls.....which was true. They were not happy that while I was fair to them, the extra mile was always for the girls.

I love it that girls today are strong and independent, without losing any of their femininity, and their never-say-die attitude and courage in the face of all adversity is truly amazing...My DD, for me, stands for all these and is the most special person for me.

I follow Malala as she tackles her new life without compromising on all that she believe in and stands for, in spite of all her suffering. In see her I see the courage and the indomitable, invincible and beautiful spirit of the girl child.

Here's another amazing girl: Mayam Mahmoud, an 18-year-old rapper from Egypt.

Mayam raps for women She has amassed a huge following for challenging how women in Egypt are meant to behave and for how they are traditionally treated. An undergraduate studying politics and social science, Mayam spends a lot of time talking with women who share their stories of daily discrimination with her. She then incorporates those experiences, with their permission, into her music.

Her lyrics highlight the importance of girls' education and denounce sexual harassment of women on the streets of Egypt. "Egyptian women undergo harassment and bullying on a daily basis," she says, stressing that "It was never about going on stage in a scarf. It was about going on stage and sharing a message."