13 April 2011

Taught anew...

The old man who ever so regularly and caringly brings me my lunch reminded me afresh about mindfulness.

My neighbor, who had asked me about my lunch arrangements, had expressed a wish to avail of the same service. I had told him that I would introduce him to Kaku, as he is known by all whom he serves. However, by the time I got to my door on Kaku's ringing the bell, I found that my neighbor had started talking to Kaku. I also saw that Kaku was not too keen on talking to him just then. Anyway, I made the introduction, and Kaku said he would talk to him later. I took my tiffin carrier in. When I came out to pay Kaku, we, as usual, discussed tomorrow's lunch. After our customary unhurried conversation, when he had finished talking to me, he went to the neighbor's house, took off his sandals, and went in. It was only then that he started talking. His first question was: 'Yes, so what did you want?' I came away inside.

Lessons:
Finish one task before starting off on another one. 
Give the task in hand your full attention.
Do not hurry over the task you are engaged in even though, or just because, there is another one, as important, or even more important, waiting to be done.
While you are in one interaction, give that your full attention: listen-talk-communicate fully, with both eyes on the person in front of you and both ears engaged, and not with one eye and one ear on the next interaction, or on someone standing nearby, or on something happening in the vicinity.

Try this with everyone - EVERYONE is worthy of your full, undivided attention, during the time you are engaged with them, no matter they are small children, grown-ups, close friends, acquaintances, strangers, elderly, infirm, different...