10 July 2010

A teacher's dilemma

In the changing world of education, I see 4 categories of teachers emerging:

  • The old-world teachers whose mantra is  - 'All these years my methods worked, so I don't see any need to get into all this new-fangled  jargon that is being bandied about.' 'Notes are the best, I say, as also 6 of the best.'
  • The old-world-trying-to-understand-and-enter-the-new world teachers who have realized that the old methods are not working any more, whether it is in pedagogy or matters of discipline, and are trying to do something about it. This, for their own sakes and because they feel the weight of the responsibility of bringing up/educating children in a world that is highly competitive, and in the midst of an ethically and morally irresponsible media.
  • The new-world teachers who are experimenting with and learning new teaching methods and better and more sensible ways of dealing with children. 'After all it is our responsibility to give these kids a runway to take off from. We have to give them a good head-start be it for their future education or in the form of life skills.'
  • The new-world-playing-it-safe teachers whose mantra is - 'Oh no! cannot do anything, it gets into the press'; or, 'n any case these children are exposed to all kinds of things in the media, so why say anything to them'; or, 'why check them -  that is the responsibility of the parents'; or, 'I want to be popular - that would help me keep my job.'
 I wonder - are there any more??